Drivers Licence Categories: Are You Legally Allowed To Drive Your Motorhome?


Paperwork and a driving licence

A lot of motorhome drivers are not totally aware of the law when it comes down to licensing, so, it’s vital that you understand the drivers licence categories and limitations of your license before heading out on a test drive.

In this blog, we’ve highlighted the key things you need to know about your drivers licence. Check it out below!


Drivers Licence Categories: Who Can Drive What?

According to the Camping and Caravanning Club, the first thing that you need to consider is when you actually passed your test. If you passed before January 1st 1997 and you’re under 70 years of age, then you will automatically be allowed to drive heavier motorhomes than if you passed after this date!

If your driving license was issued after January 1st 1997, then your test covers categories B and B1 which means that you can drive a motorhome up to 3,500kg (B) and tow a trailer up to 750kg. Because of this, many new motorhomes for sale are built with a maximum allowance mass of 3,500kg. So what this means is, if you want to drive a larger motorhome, up to 7,500kg, the you will have to sit an additional driving test to add C1 category to your driving license.

Another thing you need to know about drivers licence categories is that if you took your driving test before 1st January 1997, you’ll automatically have C1 category on your license. So you can drive a motorhome up to 7,500kg. If in doubt, check your license and don’t assume you can drive any motorhome on your UK license.


What Happens To Drivers Over 70?

Now here’s the interesting part for when you reach 70. When you reach this age, you are required to renew your license. And if you use a standard renewal procedure, you will lose your C1 entitlement. So the way around this is to have your GP fill in a medical report D4 form.

We can save you time, hassle and money!

Start the process

We use cookies for analytics purposes.

Read our Policies
Decline Accept